Being a consultant means helping people or organizations in improving their performance by analyzing their weaknesses and by developing a plan of action that can take them from point A to point B. Being a consultant is surely not the toughest job on earth especially if you are truly an expert on your chosen niche and if you have people skills.
Here’s how you can breakthrough with high priced consulting:
1. What can you offer? You need to know exactly what you do and what you can offer to your prospects before you sink your teeth into the consulting business. Some people offer services in human resources, sales and marketing, web creation, computer programming, and even in personality development. Knowing your strengths, trainings, education, and skills can help you figure out what type of assistance and information you’ll offer to your target market.
2. Be an expert. If I am the client, I would definitely go with somebody who knows what he’s doing and who is considered the best in the industry. As a consultant, you will need your target market to believe that you have what it takes to serve their needs. So, establish your expertise online by joining trade organizations, getting certifications (if needed), and by hosting seminars where you can share a slice of your expertise.
3. Make it easier for your prospects to find you. Even if you are talented and very knowledgeable on your chosen niche, you won’t possibly convince people to do business with you if you give them a hard time in getting in touch with you. I recommend that you build your own business website and promote it incessantly. It would also help if you can build your online portfolio and if you invade relevant blogs and forums to promote easy recall among those people who are most likely to buy from you.
4. Check on your competitors. Find people who are offering similar services and know how they run their business. How much do they charge? What services do they offer? What are their strengths and weaknesses? Knowing all of these things and more can help you adjust the elements and techniques that you are using in order to outplay these people.
5. Expand your network. Setting up a consulting business is relatively cheap as you don’t need to spend thousands of dollars for your initial investment. After all, you just need to provide information and assistance to your clients. However, if you want to land more work, you’ve got to expand your network. Tell your family, friends, and colleagues about what you do. Give them an idea as to what you can offer. These people may not do business with you but they might know somebody who will.